Mermaids support transgender, non binary and gender-diverse children and young people until their 20th birthday, as well as their families and professionals involved in their care.
Transgender, non-binary and gender-diverse children and teens needs support and understanding, as well as the freedom to explore their gender identity. Whatever the outcome, Mermaids is committed to helping families navigate the challenges they may face.
Mermaids is passionate about supporting children, young people, and their families to achieve a happier life in the face of great adversity. They work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people amongst professionals and the general public. They campaign for the recognition of gender dysphoria in young people and lobby for improvements in professional services.
If you are a young person that feels at odds with their birth gender, or you are a parent with a child who feels this way, Mermaids can help.
Mermaid work to:
- Reduces isolation and loneliness fore transgender, non binary and gender-diverse children, young people and their families.
- Provides families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services.
- Helps young people to cope better with mental and emotional distress, and equips their parents with what they need to offer individual support.
- Improves the self-esteem and social skills of children and young people.
- Improve awareness, understanding and practices of teachers, GP’s, CAMHS, Social Services and other professionals.
To find out more: